Non 12 Step, Holistic Alcohol Rehabilitation
If alcohol is a problem in your life, you are certainly not alone. It is estimated that approximately 18 million people in the U.S. are dependent on alcohol, and that another several million excessive Americans are currently at risk. Many people have attempted to stop drinking only to return in the end. A great number of those have had several unsuccessful attempts to stay abstinent, yet something doesn’t work in the methods they have tried. We believe that until the underlying root causes of alcohol addiction are addressed, abstinence will be so uncomfortable that relapse will likely result.
At The Sanctuary, we view addiction of all sorts as a symptom of another underlying issue. In alcohol abuse, for example, there are several conditions that commonly co-occur with excessive drinking. These include depression, anxiety, unstable moods, and trauma. The interactions of problematic drinking and such issues create yet more problems in one’s life. For instance, alcohol is a depressant and worsens any already existing depression. It increases anxiety over time, dysregulates moods and leaves one vulnerable to trauma.
No matter which came first in your life—heavy alcohol use or other mental health problems—the effective solution is to treat an alcohol problem at a deeper level. We now know a great deal about the relationship between alcohol and other aspects of one’s health and functioning. Some of these include:
- Depressed Brain Processes—in the short term, alcohol depresses or slows brain processes. This results in an immediate decrease in agitation or stress. For example, people might drink to relax after a difficult day. The mental agitation of racing thoughts or worry is slowed with intoxication; similarly, physical agitation is eased, as is emotional upset. Over time, prolonged and heavy use of alcohol depresses regular brain functioning on a more persisting basis.
- Physical and Psychological Dependencies—while excessive drinking results in physical dependency, psychological dependence also develops. This is related to the relaxation factor of intoxication. Over time one comes to rely upon alcohol as an overall life coping strategy and can create a significant disadvantage in coping skills.
- Trauma—there is a significant correlation between trauma and excessive alcohol use. In fact, unresolved trauma can create such discomfort during abstinence that relapse is an all too often occurrence. Identifying, addressing and resolving underlying trauma gets to the root cause of many people’s need for alcohol. When trauma is resolved, there is no longer a need for numbing its symptoms by drinking.
- Treatment Failure—Failure to resolve the problems that are underlying alcohol addiction has led many to try and try again to recover, only to remain entangled in the problem. A more holistic, integrated approach is needed in which all parts of one’s life related to the alcohol problem are restored to balance.
Call To Get Started
The Sanctuary’s Integrative Addiction Recoverysm program offers you a non-12 Step, holistic alcohol recovery program addressing the reasons you have not been able to live alcohol-free. We work with you to heal the underlying causes of addiction and to remedy the alcohol-induced effects that lead to relapse. In doing so, we offer you a full and sustainable recovery. We provide:
- A Strong Clinical Component—our staff to client ratio is 1:1—virtually unheard of in addiction recovery and treatment. This gives you highly individualized care with far more clinical contact hours than the majority of addiction recovery centers provide. Additionally, individual sessions account for about 90% of your sessions and you will see two therapists per day.
- Our Small Size–we work with no more than 7 clients at a time. This allows us to give you intensive and individualized attention in a highly private setting. It also evokes feelings of trust and connection to the staff and other clients, giving you the support and psychological safety you need to be successful.
- Integrated Holistic Approach–we have assembled a team of highly skilled practitioners who are well respected in their fields. They have expertise in many disciplines including nutrition, bodywork, acupuncture, herbalism, Energy Medicine, Functional Medicine, psychology and psychiatry. They work together to understand you and your needs holistically. They establish an ever-evolving non 12 step treatment plan that is modified each and every day as you progress and your needs change.
- Finding the Core Issues— we help you identify and address the underlying root causes of your alcohol addiction. These may be unresolved trauma, depression, anxiety, anger, codependency or feelings of emptiness, betrayal or abandonment, for example. We believe that addiction is not the ‘chronic, incurable and relapsing disease’ that traditional recovery models have believed in. We also believe that addiction can be cured and that you can be fully recovered when the root causes of your addiction are healed.
- A Sustainable Recovery—as you go through our program, you learn techniques and skills that become a way of life so that you can sustain a full recovery. Relapse is no longer an issue when you heal at the deep level of root causes; you won’t need drugs to feel better anymore. You experience a fundamental shift in the neural pathways of the brain that brings about deep and sustainable transformation. You become empowered, enlivened and free of your addiction—feeling connected to others and the world again. With this fundamental and healing shift, passion, a sense of purpose and meaning return. Employing the practices you learn with us, you can continue a full and sustainable recovery.
If you would like to talk with us more about our program or our methods, please contact us.